Analyst - Digital
Amazon, Google, Netflix, and Uber – these digital companies came out of nowhere and, within a span of less than a decade, have managed to become some of the most valuable companies in the world. Technical advancements in areas such as sensing, artificial intelligence, robotics, quantum computing, and 5G connectivity promise to bring digital transformation to the traditional manufacturing industries and completely transform or even disrupt them. At Lux, we serve innovative clients in a variety of industries as they evaluate technologies and use cases to make this transformation a reality and innovate their business. Clients include multi-national energy, electronics, materials, and consumer goods companies in addition to investor, academic, and government groups. Lux Research is now seeking an Analyst to bring thought leadership to a talented team.
We are looking for a smart and energetic Analyst who has a solid understanding of some, if not all, of the technologies that underlie digital transformation in physical industries, aka, industrial internet of things (IIoT), artificial intelligence, IoT security, robotics, quantum computing, and/or 5G communications. Importantly, the candidate should be agile and be able to adapt quickly in terms of knowledge and expertise in technology areas that they may not have had exposure to in the past and those that may be newly emerging. In addition, the candidate should also be able to understand the impact of regulations on digital technologies as well as the broad business and market implications of such emerging technologies.
As an analyst, the candidate will write, develop, manage, and motivate research reports and analyses that will help Lux clients make better decisions about investments, partnerships, and technology strategy. This includes developing new methodologies to understand when, how and why certain digital technologies will disrupt various industries. They will advise clients on topics related to their research, present their research at conferences, and speak with startups and established companies that are developing cutting-edge technologies. For consulting projects, the candidate will understand the specific needs of a client and analyze technology, physical sciences, and markets to provide product, go-to-market, and partner selection recommendations custom-tailored to our client’s specific objectives. The candidate will also be called upon to work with 3-4 person engagement teams on fascinating client challenges at the cutting edge of innovation.
This candidate will be based in New York or Boston and will work closely with colleagues across our global organization.
- Work with a geographically diverse team to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Conduct primary interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press, academic publications, investments, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Directly support and advise innovation clients, leveraging research from across the team, on phone and in person.
- Working with the digital team leaders, craft coverage priorities and a research agenda over the course of the year.
- Produce and manage written research reports.
- Represent Lux Research as a speaker at technology conferences around the world.
- Understand client business needs to develop and deliver high-value research.
- Interfaces with Sales, internal subject matter experts, customer success managers, and fellow consultants to bring in new projects
- Project owner for technology landscapes, market opportunity assessments, market forecasts, technology roadmaps, techno-economic due diligence, and other types of technology strategy work depending on the client’s specific requests
- A strong record of academic achievement. Master's degree required; Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum 2 years work experience in technology development and/or innovation and/or consumer/market insights
- Educational background in science and/or engineering.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies, and ability to workshop and surface clear ideas with thought partners.
- Willingness to go the extra mile to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to write clearly and incisively about business and technical topics.
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
More About Lux Research
Our mission is to advise leaders about commercially viable science and technology to enable sustainable innovation. We deliver research and advisory services to inspire, illuminate, and ignite innovation thinking that re-shapes and grows businesses. Our Lux experts focus on finding innovations that are truly disruptive but also realistic and make good business sense.
The “Lux Take” is trusted by innovation leaders who seek our advice before placing a bet on a start-up or partner – our clients rely on our work to make decisions that generate fantastic business outcomes. We pride ourselves on taking a rigorous, scientific approach to avoid the hype and generate unique perspectives and insights that innovation leaders can’t live without.
For more information visit www.luxresearchinc.com, connect on LinkedIn, or follow @LuxResearch.
Lux Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Lux Research is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, Lux prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Lux Research conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.